thisgirlreadsalot

Published Date: July 1st, 2014
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance
eBook: 320 pages
Source: Publisher via Edelweiss

For sixteen-year-old Charlotte Reynolds, aka Charlie, being raised by a single dad and three older brothers has its perks. She can out-run, out-score, and outwit every boy she knows--including her long-time neighbor, and honorary fourth brother, Braden.

But when it comes to being a girl, Charlie doesn't know the first thing about anything. So when she starts working at a chi-chi boutique to pay off a speeding ticket, she finds herself in a strange new world of makeup, lacy skirts, and bedazzlers. Even stranger, she's spending time with a boy who has never seen her tear it up in a pick-up game.

To cope with the stress of faking her way through this new reality, Charlie seeks late night refuge in her backyard, talking out her problems with Braden by the fence that separates them. But their Fence Chats can't solve Charlie's biggest problem: she's falling for Braden. Hard. She knows what it means to go for the win, but if spilling her secret means losing him for good, the stakes just got too high.

On The Fence is the first Kasie West book I've read and I was pretty pleased with it.

The cover alone is sort of misleading though because it gives the impression of a girl and a guy falling in love which is essentially what happens but the characters are so different.

Charlie is no girly girl. Actually at times it's hard to tell she is a girl if you just look at the surface. She loves all kinds of sports and she gets down and dirty with the best of them. Having all brothers I can imagine how that's possible. If I had only brothers I'd probably be the same way. I sort of admired that about her character. I liked that she didn't allow herself to be forced into the whole be a girl thing. It was endearing to watch her learn, though. It was also sort of heartbreaking watching her try and having to learn on her own.

The brothers were pretty much how I imagined them to be. Their characters were sort of secondary and sort of primary at the same time and I liked that. They were weaved into the story well.

I guess my only gripe/not gripe about the book was that things moved pretty slowly. It's sort of a good thing and sort of a bad thing. It was good because there was no insta-love. But, it also sort of made the story drag a bit. I guess I'm a bit on the fence about that part.

Overall I enjoyed the book. I liked the way it came around by the end. It wrapped up pretty nicely. I'm not in love with it but I would definitely read other books by the author.